Skills For Life
Careers Advice and Support
Mrs K Pamphlett
Mrs C Williams
Skills for Life is the main focus of our careers programme with this being a whole school focus we aim to provide students with outstanding careers education.
AIMS – The main focuses of our programme are for all our students to understand the range of opportunities available to them, to learn from employers about work and the skills that are valued in the workplace, to have first-hand experience of the work place and to get an excellent program of advice and guidance which is delivered by individuals with the right skills and experience.
IMPACT – We measure the impact on our careers education by ensuring we are meeting the Gatsby Benchmarks and we regularly complete surveys with our students and staff. The Gatsby Benchmarks are nationally recognised and although they are not a statutory framework but by adopting them, we are ensuring we offer our students the best provision.
The Eight benchmarks being:
- A stable careers programme.
- Learning from Careers & Labour Market Information.
- Addressing the Needs of Each Pupil.
- Linking Curriculum Learning to Careers.
- Encounters with Employers & Employees.
- Experiences of Workplaces.
- Encounters with Further and Higher Education.
- Personal Guidance.
MONITORING – We keep records of all events, inputs and sessions that every student has completed in order to ensure we are supporting our students in the best possible way.
As students progress through school they will participate in a range of Skills for Life/Careers related activities, including:
- Skills for Life assemblies with high profile speakers from a range of careers
- Key Stage 4 & 5 options support and guidance
- UCAS application support and in-school UCAS clinics
- University workshops and visits
- 1 to 1 careers guidance interviews at key transition points with an independent careers adviser
- Group careers guidance seminars with an independent careers adviser
- Post-16 application and progression support
- Links with employers, including classroom presentations, mentors and workplace visits
- Work experience in both Year 10 and 12
- Business and pastoral mentoring programme.